Each year The Australian Veterinary Association in conjunction with our University partners offers a small number of selected student volunteers the opportunity to attend and be part of the ASAVA Annual Conference. In 2017 the AVA and ASAVA are delighted to be hosting the Federation of Asian Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress.
In 2017, the AVA are seeking volunteer applications to fill 10 student volunteer positions, with preference given to those who speak a second language.
Students that are accepted will benefit by having the opportunity to hear talks from some of the best speakers in the world on cutting edge issues and findings in the industry. Student volunteers will also have the opportunity to network with other AVA members, FASAVA members, students, speakers and graduates while gaining valuable contacts from not only Australia but across the Asia-pacific.
Your role as a volunteer
The main role of student volunteers will be to assist in the scientific session rooms including scanning delegates name badges on entry, assisting with speaker requirements, assisting at registration desk and at the information desk.
AVA will provide successful AVA student volunteers with:
- Accommodation for the duration of your volunteer role - single sex dormitory style accommodation
- Free conference registration including access to scientific sessions (once duties are completed)
- Free access to the trade exhibition
- Breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided to all students during their rostered shifts.
- Student volunteers are also welcome to join delegates for:
- 5.30pm-8.30pm Exhibition Night - Friday
- 5.40pm-6.40pm Farewell Drinks - Monday
- If you are volunteering for the entire week you may receive one free Annual Awards Dinner ticket - Sunday - depending on availability.
- Additional social events are at student’s expense; however you may be asked to assist with small duties at the events you attend.
- Travel and transfers are at student’s expense
Thursday 10 August 2017: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Welcome and briefing, tour of conference facilities, satchel packing and general set up as required.
Duties Friday 11 - Monday 14 August
Students will be required to help at various breakfast sessions throughout the week.
During the day all session doors need to be staffed and once all delegates are in their respective sessions you will be able to attend sessions.
There are various events such as happy hours in the afternoon/early evening where the Events Coordinator, Gabi Caruana, will need your help.
Staying in contact with Gabi will enable you to understand what’s happening each day and what is required of you.
Friday 11 August
Exhibition Night for delegates so we will need your assistance welcoming guests.
Saturday 12 August
Volunteers are required to assist with loading buses for Australiana Night.
Sunday 13 August
This morning is the Scrub Run so we will need you to help at the event with marshalling and way-finding.
Monday 14 August
2pm: Check out of accommodation
Farewell drinks 5:40pm – complimentary for student volunteers
Tuesday 15 August
We may require assistance with workshops on this morning, if you are available, please indicate on the application.
EveningsIf there are no functions to attend, evenings are at your own leisure
Please wear black trousers during the conference.
The AVA will provide you with a Student Ambassador Vest so that you are noticeable as the AVA Student Representatives.
Also bring dinner attire for the Annual Awards Dinner, formal dress is required, in case we are able to provide you with a ticket.
Applications close on 21 April 2017
Successful applicants will be contacted via email by 1 May 2017.